86 Mustang

86 Mustang
Picture from the first hours of ownership

Sunday, November 15, 2009

OK...so I've been lazy...what have you been doing?

So I have been lazy, and havent posted progress for the last few weekends worth of work.  I'll roll them up here.

I set out to do the under-work for this project.  I hate working under cars on my back so I figured I'd get it out of the way.  I lifted the car and set it on jack stands on all four corners on the sub-frame, so all of the weight was off the suspension.  I removed what was left of the single exhaust, the upper and lower control arms, the 7.5" rear axle, and I dropped the fuel tank. 


















Because for all I knew, the fuel pump was original, I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump with a new unit, and re-installed the fuel tank. 

After the tank was up I installed the new stainless steel tail pipes with all new hangers, and rubber isolators.







I put in new bushings in the upper and lower control arms, and installed them to be ready for the 8.8 reat axle/differential.

































This is an 8.8" rear from a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, which I originally bought for my 83 project.  It is a Traction-Lok (Posi for the GM folks) with 3.55 gears and rear disc setup with Varga calipers made especially for Ford.  These are the same rear brakes used on the '93 Cobra.  I replaced the wheel bearings and seals in it, replaced the calipers and hoses, and put some fresh Mobil 1 gear oil in it.  I also spent some quality time with a wire wheel and a can of enamel.

So finally I finished up for the weekend as seen below.  I still need to install the rear shocks and e-brake cables, and try to figure out why my geometry seems off in back.  But that will be for another time and post.


No comments: