86 Mustang

86 Mustang
Picture from the first hours of ownership

Monday, September 14, 2009

Dash and Dine

So another Sunday with Nancy and Joseph with the in-laws.  The perfect opportunity to curse, swear, throw tools, yell at inanimate objects and "watch" SpikeTV's Sunday Morning Power Block on the garage TV followed by the Cardinals getting swept in a horrible game against Atlanta.

So I felt like tackling the dashboard  (or instrument panel if you prefer).  This is one of the dreaded tasks for any Fox Mustang owner.  The dash...specifically removal.  The only task worse is dash reinstallation.  If there was any way I could get away without doing it I would have.  Considering I have a leaky heater core, I have to install a manual transmission pedal set, and the only easy way to unplug the engine bay harness is by getting the dashboard out of the way, I bit the bullet.  As a plus, I now have easy access to remove the EEC-III and ECM harness.  Fortunately, there was a good post on the Four Eyed Pride forum detailing dash removal at http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=52798&highlight=dash+removal

What is great about this post at FEP is that it shows exactly which screws need to be removed, and which ones don't.  I'd have removed way more screws than what I would have needed to without it.

So here is the interior BEFORE picture...

 Interior Shot


And then the AFTER...steering column gone, and dash gone...they now live in the basement...
dash out 1


And I was finally able to remove the engine bay harness.  I still have to strip the ECM harness, brake lines, master cylinder/booster, wiper motor and miscellaneous cables/hoses.  At this point I can wet sand the engine bay and repaint.  I plan on going with Ford Shadow Blue on the firewall, upper radiator support and fender aprons.  I am going to go with dark charcoal grey epoxy from the frame rail line down.
engine bay cleared

Next up will be removing the heater/AC box inside, the ECM and Harness, and if I am really productive finish stripping out the engine bay.  Hopefully this Friday will be the next work day for the project.

1 comment:

NerdDawg said...

So I don't see any pictures of the dash back in. Have you reinstalled it yet? Do you have pictures of the wiring harness? I have one yellow wire that I have no idea where it plugs into. I am hoping you are going to have an answer for that one. In the wiring harness that gets put into the dash there are 2 yellow wires with blue plug ends and I forgot to take pics when I pulled my dash out. Any help is appreciated.