86 Mustang

86 Mustang
Picture from the first hours of ownership

Monday, October 5, 2009

Rockin with Rollers at 1.7

OK...so I have been lazy and have not posted in a while...I missed an entire post from the Saturday I spent putting the Heater/AC box back together with new heater core and evaporator, intalling it along with the A9L ECM and 1990 ECM harness.  I also successfully got the engine bay thoroughly cleaned, degrased and waxed (I know, but the degreaser leaves such a flat finish.)

So I didnt get pictures of any of that, but not really that exciting.  Anyway to the meat of this post.  I spent Sunday Oct. 3 prepping the engine for its eventual date with the now clean and sparse engine bay.  Since I decided to go with Ford Motorsport 1.7 ratio roller rockers, I needed to uprgrade the valve springs before the rocker upgrade.

So this is what I spent the day doing.  I swaped all 16 valve springs and installed the roller rockers, and set the inital valve lash. You can see the before and after below.







 BEFORE:

Stock Stamped Rockers with Stock Valve springs











 AFTER:

Trick Flow Dual Coil Valve Springs and Retainers with Ford Motorsport Roller Rockers by Crane (These are the same as 93-95 Cobra Spec)










So next up is to install the new front bearing retainer on the transmission, install the rear main seal, set up the clutch, bell housing and transmission, and mate it all together, install the motor and transmission mounts, and do one last fastner torque check on all of the bolts which will be impossible to reach once the engine is straddling the K member.

Its getting close to dropping the engine in, but the one thing holding me back is the original V6 engine and transmission sitting in the front of my garage occupying the engine lift.



I really need this thing to find a new home...I am practically tripping over the stupid thing.

No comments: